With Miradore Business policies, administrators can automate the deployment of applications, configuration profiles, files, and certificates. Sometimes, the deployment order of business policy items is important, and administrators should consider using the item dependencies in Miradore. This article explains when to use dependencies and how to add them between business policy items in Miradore.
When to use dependencies
Usually, it is not necessary to separately define the deployment order of business policy items. However, in some cases, it matters in which order the business policy deploys related applications, configuration profiles, files, and certificates. For example, when an administrator wants to set Android or iOS devices in Kiosk mode, the Kiosk application must be installed before configuring the actual Kiosk mode on the device. Another example could be VPN configuration on managed Android devices; the VPN application should exist on a device before the configuration.
How to define the deployment order in a business policy
When you have created a business policy, it consists of one or several items such as applications, configuration profiles, files, and certificates. With dependencies, you can define the order in which the business policy deploys its items to devices. At the time of deployment, the system checks if an item is dependent on another one and installs items in the specified order to the device. If you want to define dependencies between items:
1. Go to the business policy (Management > Business policies > ) and open the Items tab of the page.
2. Before you start editing a business policy, check that the status of it is Disabled. Enable the business policy when you have finished editing it.
3. Select the item whose deployment is dependent on another one, and choose Edit item dependency from the Actions dropdown. For example, with Kiosk mode, choose the configuration profile item to add its dependency on the Kiosk application.
4. Choose the item that must be deployed on a device before the selected one. In the case of the Kiosk mode, choose the application as a required deployment for the Kiosk mode configuration profile. Please note that you can choose only one dependency per item.
If you want to remove the dependency, you can do it in a similar way that you added one:
- Select the item which dependency you want to remove and choose Edit item dependency from Actions dropdown.
- Choose “No dependency” and click Update.
Viewing dependencies of business policy items
You can find all the items included in a business policy from the Items tab on the Business policy page. If the deployment of an item is dependent on some other, you can see it from the Dependency column.
In case you would like to see how the business policy is deploying its items to devices:
1. Go to the Action log (Management > Action log).
2. Filter the list by typing “Business policy” to the Sender field.
3. From the timestamps you can see how the dependencies affect to the deployment order.