Miradore supports the deployment of apps purchased through Apple Business or School Manager. The use of the application packages, PKGs, is also possible with Miradore. This article instructs how to deploy apps to your macOS devices. The first part explains how to add apps purchased through Apple Business/School manager for the deployment in Miradore, and the second how to use PKGs for the application deployment.
Good to know
- macOS application deployment requires Miradore Enterprise plan or active trial.
- Uninstallation or configuration of apps through Miradore is not supported.
- Applications won’t be automatically uninstalled from a device when the device is unenrolled from Miradore.
Adding VPP apps to Miradore
You can purchase licenses for macOS applications through Apple Business/School manager and then take care of the license assignments and application deployments with Miradore. The deployment of Apple Business/School Manager apps is provided for macOS 10.7 (or newer) devices enrolled in Miradore.
- You need to have sufficient user privileges to access Apple Business/School Manager and manage the application purchases and licenses on behalf of your organization.
To add VPP apps
- Log in to Apple Business or School Manager.
- Go to Content > Apps and Books and set the search filter Type = Mac. After that, you can do a search to find the app that you would like to purchase and deploy to your devices.
- Click on the desired app from the search results and buy licenses (even for the free apps). At this point, you will also need to assign the licenses to the correct location.
- Then log in to your Miradore site. Go to Management > Applications page, and use the Apple VPP > Update applications button to refresh the page contents.
- Make sure you have the Platform column visible on the page. You should now see all applications that you have bought licenses for on the page.
- You may now deploy the application to your devices. A successful deployment will automatically assign one of the bought licenses to the device.
How to release a license
If needed, you can release a license by using the trash bin icon that can be found from the VPP licenses tab of the Device page.
Adding application package (PKG) to Miradore
You may also use application packages (PKGs) to deploy apps to devices with macOS version 10.13.6 or above. Start adding the application package to Miradore from Management > Applications page. Before uploading, please make sure that PKGs are digitally signed.
1. Select the option macOS application under the dropdown button Add.
2. Application type PKG is chosen by default, and you may proceed to fill in the application details. From the picture below, you may see the compulsory fields. Find out more information about the fields from the tooltips. Notice that the Bundle identifier and software version fields need to match to the PKG file. If the bundle id does not match to the PKG file, then the deployment may get stuck in “in progress” status on Miradore.
3. You may now find the added application from the Management > Applications page. To view and edit the details of a single application, press the arrow at the end of the row.
Deploying apps to macOS devices
Deploy the app from Device or Devices page using the Deploy > Deploy application button.
You can automate the macOS application deployment with Miradore’s Business policies.