Miradore admins can remotely install applications to the managed iOS devices. Sometimes deployment might fail and it can be difficult to tell the reason for it. This article assists with troubleshooting iOS application installations.
There are some general reasons and related error messages for the failure of application deployment.
- The user rejects the installation at the device end, which generates the error “User declined app installation”.
- “Cannot connect to iTunes Store” usually means that the device is experiencing some kind of firewall issue or it cannot connect to iTunes and download the needed app.
- The user might have removed the application. Or there might be a delay on the installation and device inventory is collected before the application deployment is completed. “The app is managed, but has been removed by the user. When the app is installed again (even by the user), it will be managed once again.”
- The user might have already installed the application on the device and the installation fails. Administrators may check the device’s application inventory from the Device page (Management > Devices).
Apple VPP is a part of Apple Business/School Manager. Read more about Apple Volume Purchase Program and how to manage VPP applications with Miradore. The most common error related to VPP application deployment is “Failed to deploy VPP applications due to failed VPP license assignment”.
If you are facing problems with VPP application deployment:
- Check the availability of the application’s licenses. Acquire the licenses before the application deployment, also for the free applications.
- Check license “VPP license assignment” -settings from the Settings tab of the VPP application page (Management > Applications).
We recommend using the option “Automatically to device when application is deployed”. Note that the option “Automatically to user when application is deployed” requires users to register to VPP and might need the user action on the device end when deploying an application. Read more about managing licenses from our Knowledge base.
- Sometimes you might need to renew the VPP token and upload it to Miradore.
App Store applications
Miradore admins may deploy free applications from Apple App Store to the managed devices.
- To install the App Store application, the user must have a personal Apple ID and he/she needs to be signed in with the account to the store.
In-house applications are custom or private applications for iOS devices. The development of these applications requires the iOS Developer Enterprise program. If there is a problem “App installation has failed” with the in-house application, please make sure that the app is signed using a certificate from the enterprise development account (not with a test certificate).