This article explains what iOS Supervised mode is, why you should supervise your devices, and how to do it. Supervision is a special mode that helps schools and businesses to manage better their iOS devices giving administrators better control over the device’s configuration and restrictions. By default, iOS devices aren’t supervised.
Why to supervise your devices
Supervised mode enables the extra features for devices owned by the organization or institution. With supervision, you can deny and bypass the Activation Lock, set the device into Kiosk mode, and turn on the Lost mode, among other configurations and restrictions.
Find out more about how to supervise your device from our Knowledge base :
- Have more control over application management, such as silent app installation and approval
- Lock the device into a single application – Kiosk mode
- Prevent a user from resetting the device into factory defaults and other additional restrictions
- Set wallpapers for iOS devices
How to set iOS device into Supervised mode
The device isn’t in Supervise mode by default, so it must be defined when setting up a new or factory reset device.
In case you are using Apple Business/School Manager (DEP) for deploying your devices, you can set the Supervised mode for the device while enrolling them in Miradore.
- Read how to enroll your DEP devices in Miradore and supervice them.
- If the device is not in DEP, but you wish to use it, read how to add the device to DEP manually for the enrollment.
If you are not using Apple Business/School Manager, you may supervise your devices:
- Preparing the device to Supervised mode and enrolling the device via Apple Configurator
- Preparing only Supervised mode via Apple Configurator
Good to know
In Miradore, you may see which devices are in Supervised mode from Management > Devices page.
You can find out what configurations require supervision from Management > Configuration profile and also when you add a new configuration with the wizard.
If you need to remove the Supervised mode from the device, please see the instructions from our Knowledge base article.