This article describes how to configure the Exchange email service to Outlook for iOS.
Remote configuration of the Outlook app is possible using the managed app configurations which are part of the Premium subscription.
- It is possible to configure one Exchange account per managed Outlook app using this method
- You will need Miradore Premium Plan or active trial
- You will need to have Administrator or Editor rights on
- You need to have Apple iPhone(s) or iPad(s) enrolled in your site
- The device(s) must have a passcode set before the account can be added
- Ensure your device(s) meet the iOS version requirement of the Outlook app (check from the App Store)
How to configure the Exchange for Outlook email for iOS users?
- Go to the Management > Applications page in Miradore, and use the Add > iOS application button to add the Outlook app to your Miradore site. For instructions, see How to Add iOS App Store Apps. We recommend checking the "Remove application when device is unenrolled" option. This will remove Outlook and the device user's access to the email if the device is unenrolled from Mobile Device Management at some point.
2. Open the Outlook application's Configuration tab and add the following configuration keys:
- Setting: com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailAddress Value: This key specifies the email address used for sending and receiving email. It is recommended to use a variable here. For example, the Exchange email address from the User page (see picture).
- Setting: com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailUPN Value: This key specifies the User Principal Name or username for the email profile that is used to authenticate the account. It is easiest to use a variable here if you are planning to deploy the app to multiple devices.
- Setting: com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.AccountType Value: This key specifies the account type being configured based on the authentication model. Write "ModernAuth" to the value field.
- Setting: com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.ServerHostName Value: This key specifies the hostname of your Exchange server. For example, "mail.company.com". If you are using Office 365, you don't need to define this key.
For more information about the configuration keys, see Microsoft documentation.
3. You don't need to manually enter email addresses and user names to the User pages in Miradore if you import the data from Microsoft Active Directory or use a CSV file. See importing user data to Miradore from Microsoft Active Directory and Importing data from CSV for more.
If you import the usernames and email addresses from Microsoft AD, remember to use the variables imported from Active Directory for the configuration keys as shown in the picture below.
4. After you have configured the app, go to the Management > Devices page. Choose the desired devices and use the Deploy > Deploy application button to distribute the pre-configured email client app to the devices. The device will ask for the user's approval on unsupervised devices before installing the app.
5. You can follow up on the deployment from the Management > Action log page, or the Device page of each target device.
Consider Outlook Web Access (OWA) for older iOS devices
You can deploy the webmail (OWA) link to iOS devices in case you have any older iPads or iPhones which do not support the Outlook app.
- Go to Management > Configuration Profiles and create a Web Clip configuration profile.
- The URL field defines the address where users can access their accounts. For Office 365 it is something like https://outlook.office365.com/owa/yourdomain.com
- After configuration, deploy the web clip to the devices and a bookmark to that link will appear on the device's Home screen. The user needs to enter their username and password to access the email.
Modern authentication on Outlook in Exchange
Microsoft has retired the basic authentication and replaced it with the Modern authentication that is based on OAuth2. The OAuth is providing more secure way for user authentication and simplifies the enabling and enforcing the multifactor authetication (MFA). Read how to enable OAuth on Mail for Exchange with configuration profiles.