With the Apple Automated Device Enrollment Program (ADE)(formerly DEP), company-owned Apple devices can be automatically enrolled to Miradore when performing the initial setup or after a factory reset.
During the process, the device is connected with the management solution and the device is automatically configured according to the company policy defined by administrators in Miradore. This can include for example the installation of desired apps and the configuration of settings, such as enabling the Supervised mode, enforcing a passcode policy, or blocking the removal of the management profile from the device. Thanks to automation, there's no need for IT to physically handle the devices.
For more information about automated device enrollment, check out Apple's web pages.
Also see our webinar recording where our Senior Technical Specialist explains what is Apple Automated Device Enrollment (formerly Apple Device Enrollment Program), how it works, what are the benefits of using it, and of course how would you set it up for your Miradore site.
Automated device enrollment works on these devices:
- iOS devices with iOS 7 or later
- Mac computers with macOS 10.9 or later
The main steps required for Apple ADE to work are:
1) Enroll your company in the Apple Automated Device Enrollment program in Apple Business/School Manager.
2) Provide an Apple Authorized Reseller that participates with the program with your organization ID.
3) Add the reseller's ID to your Apple Business Manager. You can add reseller IDs from Settings > Organization settings > Device management settings by editing the Customer numbers field.
See Apple's documentation for more instructions.
4) Configure ADE in Miradore.
5) Purchase new devices from the Apple Authorized Reseller or directly from Apple and assign the purchased devices to your Miradore site.
How to enroll your company in the Apple Automated Device Enrollment
To enroll your company in Apple ADE, follow the instructions in the Apple Business Manager Guide chapter Signing up for Apple Business Manager.
What you will need to have:
- An email address not previously registered to an Apple ID
- An Apple Customer Number or a DEP Reseller ID
- DUNS number of your company
In return for signing up, you will receive an organization ID. An Apple Authorized Reseller that participates in the program must be provided with the organization ID. New devices must be purchased either directly from Apple or through one of the Apple Authorized Resellers.
How to set up automated device enrollment in Miradore
In Miradore, the configuration is done using a DEP configuration wizard. Go to System > Infrastructure diagram and from Apple Device Enrollment Program, select Configure. Follow the instructions in the wizard. When you are using Apple Business Manager, please check these instructions.
Note! Apple Push Notification Service needs to be configured prior to configuring automated device enrollment.
Summary of steps in the ADE/DEP configuration wizard:
1) Download the public key certificate of your Miradore site.
2) Upload the public key certificate to Apple's service.
3) Download the ADE/DEP authentication token from Apple's service.
4) Upload the ADE/DEP authentication token to Miradore.
5) Set up the desired enrollment settings. The settings can be modified later.
Also, check our webinar video which demonstrates how to configure and use the Apple Automated Enrollment with Miradore.
How to assign devices to ADE/DEP
After Apple automated enrollment has been configured successfully, devices need to be assigned to ADE/DEP.
First, assign devices to an MDM server in the Apple Business Apple Manager web service. If you have set one as the default server, the assignment will be done automatically for new devices.
Then, assign an enrollment profile to the devices in Miradore.
When a new device is purchased, Apple web service administrators will get an email of the new device from Apple. After the device has been assigned to the Miradore MDM server, it will be shown on Enrollment > Apple DEP page in Miradore.
From the Apple DEP page, you can select which devices will be enrolled to your Miradore site. Select the devices and click Actions > Assign enrollment profile.
Enrollment tags can be defined when assigning enrollment profiles to devices. The assigned tags will be used for devices that will be enrolled via the automated device enrollment program.
Devices will be enrolled using ADE during the initial device setup. The device can be re-enrolled by wiping the device and running the initial setup again.
Note: If the enrollment profile settings are modified, the enrollment profile is updated to all devices to which the enrollment profile has been earlier assigned.