Answers to common questions about the mobile device management of Apple devices.
How to choose the correct enrollment method for iOS?
There are various methods available for enrolling your iOS devices into Miradore. Basic iOS enrollment can be completed using the wizard in the enrollment section of Miradore. For advanced management, we recommend the use of Apple’s Automated Device Enrollment (ADE), or Apple Configurator to enroll and supervise, your devices. For more information on iOS enrollment, please read iOS Device Management.
How to choose the correct enrollment method for macOS?
Admin may use different methods to enroll macOS devices to Miradore.
- Apple's Automated Device Enrollment feature is the preferred enrollment method for enrolling Macs that your organization owns and has associated with the organization's Apple Business/School Manager account. This method is available for macOS devices from version 10.9 onwards, and it allows to manage devices in the Supervised mode.
- Manual enrollment using an MDM Profile is a very easy enrollment method for adding devices in Miradore one by one. This management method is suitable for managing personally-owned devices that cannot be added to the organization's Apple Business or School Manager account.
- See how administrators can send an invitation to users to perform the manual enrollment.
- You can also advise device users to perform a self-service enrollment.
- One option is also to download the MDM profile from Miradore System > Infrastructure diagram and install it on the Mac.
For more information, please see the article About device enrollment methods.
How do I create an Apple Push Certificate?
The management of Apple devices with Miradore requires the use of the Apple Push Notification service (APNs). The APNs is a service hosted by Apple Inc., and it is used to convey requests, i.e. push notifications, from Miradore to the managed devices. Please see our instructions for creating your APNs certificate.
What is Apple ADE, DEP, or VPP?
Apple’s Automated Device Enrollment (ADE, previously Apple DEP) and Volume Purchase Program (VPP) are part of Apple Business Manager and they help schools and businesses easily deploy and configure Apple devices and applications. Once registered, these programs help admins to simplify initial setup by automating mobile device management (MDM) enrollment and supervision of devices during setup, which enables you to configure your organization’s devices without touching them. Your supervised iOS devices combined with VPP provide a simple, scalable solution to find, buy, distribute, and manage your business applications.
Does Miradore support Apple’s ADE?
Yes, we do! Please see the instructions below:
What is Apple Supervised Mode?
Supervision gives schools and businesses greater control over the iOS devices they own. With supervision, your administrator can apply extra restrictions like turning off AirDrop or preventing access to the App Store. It also provides additional device configurations and features, like silently updating apps or filtering web usage.
By default, iOS devices aren’t supervised. Supervision can only be turned on when a new device is set up using Apple ADE or Apple Configurator. If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn’t supervised now, your administrator needs to completely erase your device to set up supervision. More information about Apple Supervised Mode.
Why certificate for gateway.miradore.com is expired on my Apple device?
The MDM profile on your Apple device shows the status of the certificate that was used to enroll your device into Miradore's device management service. The certificate is valid for one year and after that, it expires. Therefore, you will see the warning "gateway.miradore.com certificate is expired" on your device after one year. However, this is a harmless warning as the certificate expiration does not affect the device management in any way.